November 14, 2011

Cut Your Stamps? Are you Crazy?


One question I get from my customers is, “I’ve heard you can cut acrylic stamps. Is it really okay to cut my stamps?”  The answer is YES!! I know it’s scary to do but it opens up a world of possibilities with your stamps!

First of all, why would you want to cut your stamps? Well perhaps you have a saying that is long and narrow but you want the words to be stacked on top of each other to fit a square space. Or perhaps you only want to use part of a stamp.

 

When I created this card the other day, I had a vine stamp and I wanted to stamp this cute flower onto the vine without the stem and leaves. Yet, the way the stamp was designed it was difficult to ink up just part of the stamp. The answer? Cut the bloom!



I just took the stamp off the carrier sheet and decided where to cut. When cutting a stamp, I like to make sure that there is enough blank space around the image to make it easy to cut the image without cutting any other parts of the design. As you get more confidence in cutting stamps you can get more daring. J When you have planned your cut, simply use your microtip scissors and cut your stamp.


Now you have your stamp in two pieces. It’s easy to put both pieces together on a block to stamp the whole thing as one image in the future. So you don’t have to worry about not being able to use the whole stamp together as one piece another time. You have the best of both worlds!


Now just stamp your image.



And voila! Your final card! See the cute blue blooms on the vine. I couldn’t have done it easily without cutting that stamp. 



See! It’s super easy to cut your stamps and have flexibility with your images. Enjoy!

Supplies:
·      Dreamin’ paper packet
·      D1482 Love Life stamp set
·      D1436 The Present stamp set
·      Art Philosophy Seasons stamp set
·      Chocolate, Goldrush and Pacifica ink pads
·      Bronze Glitz Gel
·      Basic button collection

No comments: